During the summer months when temperatures are high, it’s important to take care of our yards while also staying water-wise. The Town of Bennett would like to remind residents of watering limitations while also providing some helpful tips on being water wise.
Watering is not allowed between the hours of 10:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. Hand watering will be permitted during these hours.
The Board of Trustees voted to approve these watering restrictions in order to manage summertime water usage and protect the Town’s available and future water supply.
Residents who lay new seed or sod may apply for a special permit with the Town Clerk for exemption from these watering restrictions.
Any person who is found to have violated these limitations may be subject to a fine.
The regulations listed below apply to all properties within the Town. Noncompliance may result in a fine up to $500 and water usage being limited to indoor water use only.
Sec. 13-3-420. - Wasting water unlawful.
- It is unlawful for any person using Town water to use, allow or permit water to run to waste upon his or her premises, buildings, houses or lots, in, through or out of any water closet, lavatory, urinal, bathtub, hose, hydrant, faucet or other fixtures, appliances or apparatus whatsoever, or in any manner through neglect or by reason of faulty or imperfect plumbing or fixtures.
- It is unlawful for any person using Town water to, at any time, use water to clean any hard surface upon or adjacent to his or her premises, building, house or lot. For purposes of this Subsection, hard surface includes, but is not limited to, driveways, sidewalks, patios and streets and street gutters.
- It is unlawful for any person using Town water to allow, either manually or automatically, the sprinkling or watering of a hard surface; to allow excessive runoff of water from his or her premises, buildings, houses or lots; and/or to allow the excessive pooling of water upon or adjacent to his or her premises, houses or lots.
- Personal vehicles shall be washed only during the water day provided in Section 13-3-410 and only with a bucket or a hand-held hose equipped with a positive shutoff nozzle. Vehicles contained in commercial operations may be washed no more often than once per week.
(Ord. 347 §1, 1997; Ord. 474 §6, 2002; Ord. 526 §1, 2005)
Landscaping and Watering Tips
Tips on being more water-wise:
- Do not water between the hours of 10:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. Water during cooler times of the day.
- Change your sprinkler clock/schedule to limit each zone to 10-15 minutes every other day, no more than three days a week. If you are seeing run-off leaving your irrigated area, you are likely over watering.
- Adjust sprinkler heads to ensure only intended landscaped areas are being watered.
- Do not water on days that rain or high winds are in the forecast.
- If installing new irrigated landscaping, wait for early fall or spring and consider water-wise plants that use less water over time.
- Do not allow water to pool in gutters, streets and alleys.
- Do not waste water by letting it spray on concrete and asphalt.
- Repair leaking sprinkler systems within 10 days.
- Use a hose nozzle with a shut-off valve when washing your car.
More information on watering recommendations based on month and sprinkler type can be found here.
Watch the video below for some helpful watering tips and recommendations.
The Town would like to remind residents to continue to pull weeds from their yard and mow their grass.
Xeriscaping is the process of landscaping or gardening that reduces or eliminates the need for supplemental water from irrigation and is highly recommended. More information on xeriscaping is available here.
Plant recommendations for the Town of Bennett are available here.